Monday 29th August 2022
Ever grateful to the Shenstone & District Car Club for their continued support, we are thrilled to return to Curborough Sprint Course for the third consecutive year. As a demonstration event, the runs will not be timed, but will nonetheless provide a great opportunity to have some fun on the figure-of-eight course, aka the “Curburgring”.
The event is eligible to cars and motorcycles spanning eight decades (1900-1982), all makes and models, and we can’t wait to see them in action! Anyone wishing to bring a static display vehicle is also encouraged to book in advance via our online registration system (click on button below), thus ensuring that a space is allocated in the designated display area.
Free spectator parking; £7.00 per adult, £3.00 per child (under 18) and free for children under five.
Refreshments will be available to purchase on the day.
Please check this page for further updates and Facebook users might like to follow us on Facebook: SCYP Curborough Charity Sprint.
We could not put on the event without the support of our sponsors, to whom we are exceedingly grateful, especially during such unprecedented times. If you would like to consider being a part of this year’s event as a sponsor, needless to say, we would be delighted! There are three standard packages available (Bronze, Silver & Gold). Click here for more information. On behalf of everyone at Staffordshire Clubs for Young People, a great big thank you to all!
The sprint course at Curborough was formerly a small part of RAF Lichfield, the busiest airfield in Staffordshire during World War II . Construction of the airfield began in 1939. On completion, 51 Maintenance Unit took up residence on 1st August 1940. The largest inhabitants of RAF Lichfield were 27 Operational Training Unit whose task was to train aircrew on Wellington bombers. After the war effort, 51 MU continued to modify, store and break up aircraft, until the airfield’s closure on 15th April 1958. The Air Ministry eventually sold the entire site for the sum of £240,000 on 1st May 1962.